Generally, I’m the one who cooks the dinners, but my roommates have taken to helping me. I enjoy it because it makes the work easier on me (a 4-course meal, plus dessert all from scratch…I have homework too) and I get to teach them things I’ve learned. Sometimes we do potlucks, sometimes we go out, but most of the time I get to show off my culinary prowess and make something that no one would expect a college student to whip out of his eight foot, galley style kitchen. Oh, and all of the appliances are electric – THAT took some getting used to.
Normally, I’d make something like a pork roast, or a leg of lamb; however, summer here means 90+ days, humidity and a complete disregard for anything that isn’t fruit, oatmeal, or Koolaid. So I thought, “What can I make that’s light enough to be enjoyed, can be produced in quantities of 8-12 easily, and won’t send my wallet flying down the sewers?”. And then I looked at the bottle of Tequila sitting on my kitchen counter; thus the birth of Spicy Tequila Lime Chicken (Taco) Salad. It’s made with healthier ingredients than regular taco salad, so it’s not nearly as bad for you, and it still tastes like the real thing. Plus jalapeƱos are in the same category as bacon in my book.
(I apologize for the half-eaten picture. I forgot to take a picture until after I had eaten some…oops)
Tequila Lime Chicken (Taco) Salad
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 hearts of Romaine Lettuce, chopped
2 JalapeƱo peppers, sliced with seeds
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp ground Cumin
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 large pinch Red Pepper flakes
¼ cup Tequila
¼ cup Lime Juice
Dash of cinnamon
Sour cream and Shredded Cheese, for garnish
In a small bowl, mix together the red pepper flakes, chili powder, cumin, olive oil, hoisin sauce, tequila and lime juice. Stir together until combined. In a large resealable bag, put the chicken breats and pepper slices. Pour the marinade over the top, seal the bag, and massage the chicken with the marinade. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
Prepare your grill(pan) and grill the chicken until it is not pink anymore and the juices run clear, about 6 minutes per side. Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice chicken and place on a bed of lettuce. Cover with cheese and sour cream and enjoy!! Serves 4.

I MISS SND!!! :(
ReplyDelete